Originally known simply as “Peak XV,” Mount Everest, at 29,035 feet, offers views from the highest point on earth. In this blog, our leadership team brings you up-to-date and relevant perspectives on industry happenings, what’s in the media and executive insights. Read on, and enjoy the view from the top.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Hi, my name is...

When our children were still of an age to be seen with us in public, my family and I would go out to the mall or a restaurant and before long the whining would start. “Daaaaaaad, do you have to say hello to everyone?” Time and again, I found myself in the hot seat, with my daughter rolling her eyes in annoyance because I would stop and speak with so many people. At first, I just dismissed their complaint of “you know everyone” as whining. It wasn’t until I read Malcolm Gladwell’s The Tipping Point that I realized my family was not just expressing their grievances (although they were doing that, too)—they were identifying my ability to connect.

More than knowing a lot of people, the real passion and enjoyment of being a connector comes from those momentary opportunities to put two people together that you sense will mutually benefit from meeting one another. No middle man cut, no quotas or goals, just pure pleasure. Honestly, I couldn’t list or even recall all the people I have introduced or said, “you need to meet so-and-so” to. Being a connector is like many other investments: the rewards from friendships, acquaintances and even business are long-term.

I’ve never liked being a stranger anywhere I go, so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jim Hunt, and we just connected.

No comments: